In late October and early November we face the difficulty of enjoying a tailgate in some unpredictable weather conditions. We need to make sure our tailgate menu reflects that. That is nothing that warms the body and the soul more than a good Chili. Today we are going to make a little bit different of a Chili. This recipe is for a sweeter Smokey Bacon Chili.
What you will need:
Bacon – 6 slices
Ground Beef – 2lbs
1 can of Chili beans
1 can of Kidney Beans
1 Red Bell Pepper
2 Green Bell Pepper
1 tbspBrown Sugar
1 Large can of Diced tomatos
1 Small can of Tomato Paste
1 tbsp Salt
1 tbsp Pepper
2 tbsp garlic powder
2 tbsp Peprika
2 tbsp Chili Powder
1 tbsp Cumin
1 tsp Cayenne pepper
1 tbsp Garlic Powder
1 Can Corn
Lets get cooking:
1. Cut your bacon into cubes (about 1/2 inch.)
and place in a large pot over medium high heat & sprinkle in brown sugar and let cook down.
2. While the Bacon is cooking down, cut up your Onion and Peppers.
3. Once bacon starts to crisp, add chopped onion and peppers into the pot and let them cook right in the bacon grease.
4. Once vegatable cook down and start to soften up add in your ground beef and seasonings into the pot and stir until ground beef is browned and cooked through.
5. Once beef is fulled, add your Diced tomatoes, Tomato Paste, Both beans, and Corn.
6. Stir everything together for a minute or two.
7. Reduce heat to simmer, cover pot and let sit for 2 hours.
Again….This is not your traditional Chili. This is not spicy. This is sweet and savory but still provides you with the warmth that you need to make it through even the coldest of tailgates. Enjoy!
P.S. Make sure you are using some kind of Corn Chips for this to add saltiness.